Optimal Taxation and Provision of Public Goods in a Unionized Economy
AbstractThis paper concerns optimal factor income taxation and provision of a public good in a small open economy, which is characterized by union wage setting. The analysis is based on a general equilibrium model, where the hours of work are endogenous, and the tax instruments are linear taxes on labor income and capital income. The purpose of the paper is to characterize the conditions for optimal taxation and provision of a public good under excess supply of labor, and then compare the results with those arising when the labor market is competitive.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Umeå University, Department of Economics in its series Umeå Economic Studies with number 560.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: 30 May 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Optimal taxation; public goods; union wage setting;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H21 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Efficiency; Optimal Taxation
- H41 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Public Goods
- J51 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Labor-Management Relations, Trade Unions, and Collective Bargaining - - - Trade Unions: Objectives, Structure, and Effects
- J60 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-06-08 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- José Manuel González-Páramo & Diego Martínez López, 2002. "Provisión eficiente de inversión pública financiada con impuestos distorsionantes," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2002/08, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kjell-Göran Holmberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.