The Sources of Volatility Transmission in the Euro Area Money Market: From Longer Maturities to the Overnight?
AbstractThis note investigates the transmission of volatility from longer maturities to the overnight segment of the Euro area money market. I use non-parametric estimates of the daily variance of swap rates to test for block exogeneity with respect to the overnight. The results suggest that there exists transmission of volatility shocks from the 1-year swap rate to the overnight market. The reform of the operational framework of March 2004 has improved the segmentation of the market, as it has insulated the overnight segment from spillovers in volatility stemming from swap rates up to 6 months of maturity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm University, Department of Economics in its series Research Papers in Economics with number 2008:5.
Length: 9 pages
Date of creation: 22 May 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics, Stockholm, S-106 91 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 8 16 20 00
Fax: +46 8 16 14 25
Web page: http://www.ne.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
Money Market; High-Frequency Data; Granger Causality;
Other versions of this item:
- Paolo Zagaglia, 2010. "The sources of volatility transmission in the Euro area money market: from longer maturities to the overnight?," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(9), pages 865-868.
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- E58 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Central Banks and Their Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-05-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2008-05-31 (European Economics)
- NEP-FMK-2008-05-31 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-MAC-2008-05-31 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2008-05-31 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-MST-2008-05-31 (Market Microstructure)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hernandis, Lucía & Torró, Hipòlit, 2013. "The information content of Eonia swap rates before and during the financial crisis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(12), pages 5316-5328.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sten Nyberg).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.