New Start-ups and Firm In-migration - Evidence from the Swedish Wholesale Trade Industry
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to distinguish between the determinants of new start-ups and in-migration of firms using a data-set that covers 13,471 limited liability firms in the Swedish wholesale trade industries during the period 2000-2004. Our results indicate that the presence of a university more than doubles the expected number of entrants and increases the expected number of in-migrating firms with 30%. A large share of educated workers and a high local unemployment rate is also associated with more start-ups and firm in-migration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HUI Research in its series HUI Working Papers with number 53.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jul 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: HUI Research, Regeringsgatan 60, 103 29 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46 (0)8 762 72 80
Fax: +46 (0)8 679 76 06
Web page: http://www.hui.se/
More information through EDIRC
Firm growth; firm size; job creation; small firms;
Other versions of this item:
- Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Elert, Niklas & Rudholm, Niklas, 2011. "New Start-ups and Firm In-migration –Evidence from the Swedish Wholesale Trade Industry," Ratio Working Papers 171, The Ratio Institute.
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- L26 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Entrepreneurship
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-07-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2011-07-27 (Business Economics)
- NEP-ENT-2011-07-27 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-HME-2011-07-27 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-SBM-2011-07-27 (Small Business Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bornhäll, Anders & Daunfeldt, Sven-Olov & Rudholm, Niklas, 2013.
"Sleeping Gazelles: High Profits but No Growth,"
HUI Working Papers
91, HUI Research.
- Carling, Kenneth & Håkansson, Johan & Rudholm, Niklas, 2012. "Optimal retail location and CO2 emissions," HUI Working Papers 76, HUI Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Nilsson).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.