Testing the unit root hypothesis against the logistic smooth transition autoregressive model
AbstractIn this paper two simple tests to distinguish between unit root processes and stationary nonlinear processes are proposed. New limit distribution results are provided, together with two F type test statistics for the joint unit root and linearity hypothesis against a specific nonlinear alternative. Nonlinearity is defined through the smooth transition autoregressive model. Due to occasional size distortion in small samples, a simple bootstrap method is proposed for estimating the p-values of the tests. Power simulations show that the two proposed tests have at least the same or higher power than the corresponding Dickey-Fuller tests. Finally, as an example, the tests are applied on the seasonally adjusted U.S. monthly unemployment rate. The linear unit root hypothesis is strongly rejected, showing considerable evidence that the series is better described by a stationary smooth transition autoregressive process than a random walk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 546.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 28 Nov 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Smooth transition autoregressive model; nonlinearity; unit root; Brownian motion; critical values; bootstrap; Monte Carlo simulations; unemployment rate;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-12-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2003-12-14 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2003-12-14 (Econometric Time Series)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Goodwin, Barry K. & Holt, Matthew T. & Prestemon, Jeffery P., 2008.
"The Commodity Terms of Trade, Unit Roots, and Nonlinear Alternatives: A Smooth Transition Approach,"
9684, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joseph V. Balagtas & Matthew T. Holt, 2009. "The Commodity Terms of Trade, Unit Roots, and Nonlinear Alternatives: A Smooth Transition Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 91(1), pages 87-105.
- Holt, Matthew T. & Craig, Lee A., 2006. "AJAE Appendix: Nonlinear Dynamics and Structural Change in the U.S. Hog-Corn Ratio: A Time-Varying Star Approach," American Journal of Agricultural Economics Appendices, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 88(1), February.
- Craig, Lee A. & Holt, Matthew T., 2008. "Mechanical refrigeration, seasonality, and the hog-corn cycle in the United States: 1870-1940," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 45(1), pages 30-50, January.
- He, Changli & Sandberg, Rickard, 2005. "Dickey-Fuller Type of Tests against Nonlinear Dynamic Models," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 580, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Eklund, Bruno, 2003. "A nonlinear alternative to the unit root hypothesis," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 547, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Li, Yushu & Shukur, Ghazi, 2009. "Testing for Unit Root against LSTAR Model: Wavelet Improvement under GARCH Distortion," CAFO Working Papers 2009:6, Centre for Labour Market Policy Research (CAFO), School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University.
- Niels Haldrup & Robinson Kruse & Timo Teräsvirta & Rasmus T. Varneskov, 2012. "Unit roots, nonlinearities and structural breaks," CREATES Research Papers 2012-14, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Li, Yushu & Shukur, Ghazi, 2009. "Testing for Unit Root against LSTAR model – wavelet improvements under GARCH distortion," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 184, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.