A nonlinear alternative to the unit root hypothesis
AbstractThis paper considers testing the unit root hypothesis against a smooth transition autoregressive model as the alternative. The model specification makes it possible to discriminate between nonstationary random walk and stationary nonlinear processes. Some new limit results are presented, extending earlier work, and two F type tests are proposed. Small sample simulations show some size distortions, why a bootstrap method for estimating p-values to the tests are considered. Power simulations show some gain in power, compared to the common Augmented Dickey-Fuller tests. Finally, the two proposed F type tests are applied on a number of real exchange rates. For several of the exchange rates considered the linear unit root is rejected in favor of the stationary nonlinear model, supporting the purchasing power parity hypothesis.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stockholm School of Economics in its series Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance with number 547.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 28 Nov 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The Economic Research Institute, Stockholm School of Economics, P.O. Box 6501, 113 83 Stockholm, Sweden
Phone: +46-(0)8-736 90 00
Fax: +46-(0)8-31 01 57
Web page: http://www.hhs.se/
More information through EDIRC
Smooth transition autoregressive model; nonlinearity; unit root; Brownian motion; bootstrap; critical values; Monte Carlo simulations; real exchange rates;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- F31 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Foreign Exchange
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-12-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2003-12-14 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2003-12-14 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-IFN-2003-12-14 (International Finance)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce E. Hansen & Mehmet Caner, 1997.
"Threshold Autoregressions with a Unit Root,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
381, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Froot, Kenneth A. & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Perspectives on PPP and long-run real exchange rates,"
Handbook of International Economics,
in: G. M. Grossman & K. Rogoff (ed.), Handbook of International Economics, edition 1, volume 3, chapter 32, pages 1647-1688
- Kenneth A. Froot & Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "Perspectives on PPP and Long-Run Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 4952, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:etheor:v:8:y:1992:i:4:p:489-500 is not listed on IDEAS
- Enders, Walter & Granger, Clive W J, 1998.
"Unit-Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 16(3), pages 304-11, July.
- Enders, Walter & Granger, C. W. J., 1998. "Unit Root Tests and Asymmetric Adjustment with an Example Using the Term Structure of Interest Rates," Staff General Research Papers 1388, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Dumas, Bernard, 1992. "Dynamic Equilibrium and the Real Exchange Rate in a Spatially Separated World," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 5(2), pages 153-80.
- Hamori, Shigeyuki & Tokihisa, Akira, 1997. "Testing for a unit root in the presence of a variance shift1," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 57(3), pages 245-253, December.
- Eklund, Bruno, 2003. "Testing the unit root hypothesis against the logistic smooth transition autoregressive model," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 546, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Hansen, Bruce E., 1992. "Convergence to Stochastic Integrals for Dependent Heterogeneous Processes," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(04), pages 489-500, December.
- Lothian, James R. & Taylor, Mark P., 2006.
"Real Exchange Rates Over the Past Two Centuries : How Important is the Harrod-Balassa-Samuelson Effect?,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
768, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- JamesR. Lothian & MarkP. Taylor, 2008. "Real Exchange Rates Over the Past Two Centuries: How Important is the Harrod-Balassa-Samuelson Effect?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 118(532), pages 1742-1763, October.
- Dueker, Michael J. & Psaradakis, Zacharias & Sola, Martin & Spagnolo, Fabio, 2011.
"Multivariate contemporaneous-threshold autoregressive models,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 160(2), pages 311-325, February.
- Michael Dueker & Zacharias Psaradakis & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2009. "Multivariate Contemporaneous Threshold Autoregressive Models," Department of Economics Working Papers 2009-03, Universidad Torcuato Di Tella.
- Michael J. Dueker & Zacharias Psaradakis & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2007. "Multivariate contemporaneous threshold autoregressive models," Working Papers 2007-019, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Michael J. Dueker & Zacharias Psaradakis & Martin Sola & Fabio Spagnolo, 2010. "Multivariate Contemporaneous-Threshold Autoregressive Models," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 817.10, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- repec:lan:wpaper:2374 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:2595 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:2453 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:lan:wpaper:2372 is not listed on IDEAS
- I A Venetis & Ivan Paya & D Peel, 2009. "ESTAR model with multiple fixed points. Testing and Estimation," Working Papers 599093, Lancaster University Management School, Economics Department.
- Dilem Yildirim & Ralf Becker & Denise R Osborn, 2009. "Bootstrap Unit Root Tests for Nonlinear Threshold Models," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0915, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Craig, Lee & Holt, Matthew T., 2012. "The Role of Mechanical Refrigeration in Spatial and Temporal Price Dynamics for Regional U.S. Egg Markets, 1880–1911," MPRA Paper 39554, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Helena Lundin).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.