The politics of rural development in Europe
AbstractThis paper explores the evolution of rural policies in EU, making some comparisons with CEE rurality. In the first chapter I explore some theoretical concepts on how policies are transferred from one country to another, what a policy paradigm means and how it might change over time with special reference to the changing conceptualisation of rural development. The rest of the paper is based on literature review; document analysis; and interviews and experiences gathered at the European level. In the second chapter an account is given of how the modernisation paradigm prevalent in EU and CEE rural policies has been eroded during recent decades, and what the expression ‘rural development’ might mean for various actors and stakeholders of this story. Then I analyse some early documents of the SAPARD programme, to show the original intentions of EU policy makers at the beginning of the pre-accession preparation. In the last chapter I make some conclusions on the EU’s strategy for eastern enlargement and its possible implications for the evolution of European rural policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences in its series IEHAS Discussion Papers with number 0505.
Length: 45 pages
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Development Planning and Policy; Agriculture; Rural Economics; Comparative Economic Systems; Agriculture and Natural Resources System;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O2 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy
- N5 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries
- R0 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General
- P5 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems
- Q0 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Volk, Alenka & Bojnec, Stefan, 2012. "Local Action Groups and Rural Development Projects: The LEADER Program in Slovenia," 131st Seminar, September 18-19, 2012, Prague, Czech Republic 135781, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrienn Foldi).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.