Uniqueness of bubble-free solution in linear rational expectations models
AbstractOne usually identifies bubble solutions to linear rational expectations models by extra components (irrelevant lags) arising in addition to market fundamentals. Although there are still many solutions relying on a minimal set of state variables, i.e., relating in equilibrium the current state of the economic system to as many lags as initial conditions, there is a conventional wisdom that the bubble-free (fundamentals) solution should be unique. This paper examines the existence of endogenous stochastic sunspot fluctuations close to solutions relying on a minimal set of state variables, which provides a natural test for identifying bubble and bubble-free solutions. It turns out that only one solution is locally immune to sunspots, independently of the stability properties of the perfect-foresight dynamics. In the standard saddle-point configuration for these dynamics, this solution corresponds to the so-called saddle stable path.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00069498.
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Macroeconomic Dynamics, 2003, 7, 2, 171-191
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00069498
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
linear rational expectations models; bubble-free solution;
Other versions of this item:
- Desgranges, Gabriel & Gauthier, St phane, 2003. "Uniqueness Of Bubble-Free Solution In Linear Rational Expectations Models," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 7(02), pages 171-191, April.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bennett McCallum, .
"On the Relationship Between Determinate and MSV Solutions in Linear RE Models,"
GSIA Working Papers
2003-E78, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 2004. "On the relationship between determinate and MSV solutions in linear RE models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 55-60, July.
- Bennett McCallum, 2004. "On the Relationship Between Determinate and MSV Solutions in Linear RE Models," NBER Technical Working Papers 0297, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2003.
"The Unique Minimum State Variable RE Solution is E-Stable in All Well Formulated Linear Models,"
NBER Working Papers
9960, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 2002. "The Unique Minimum State Variable RE Soluiton is E-Stable in All Well Formulated Linear Models," GSIA Working Papers 2003-25, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Stéphane Gauthier, 2004.
"Determinacy in Linear Rational Expectations Models,"
- Gauthier, Stephane, 2004. "Determinacy in linear rational expectations models," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(7), pages 815-830, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.