Bank Competition, Institution and Economic Development: Evidence from Asia during 1999-2007
AbstractFrom a sample of Asian countries over the period 1999-2007, this paper investigates the link between bank competition and economic development. In general, although banking market power has a U-shaped relationship with economic growth, banking market power tends to improve economic growth. However, the positive impact of banking market power on economic growth only occurs in agricultural sector, but not in industrial sector. It is also shown that higher banking market power in countries with greater economic freedom erodes overall economic growth and industrial growth. On the contrary, there is no significant relationship between banking market power and agricultural growth in countries with greater economic freedom. Therefore, when economic freedom increases and financial service investments come into a country, any policy to boost banking competition becomes necessary. In this phase, as well, industrial sector is more important than agricultural sector.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00785074.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published, Economics Bulletin, 2010, 30, 3, 2119-2133
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal-unilim.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00785074
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Banking Competition; Economic Freedom; Economic Growth; Asia;
Other versions of this item:
- Wahyoe Soedarmono, 2010. "Bank competition, institution and economic development: Evidence from Asia during 1999-2007," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 30(3), pages 2119-2133.
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Petersen, Mitchell A & Rajan, Raghuram G, 1995.
"The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 110(2), pages 407-43, May.
- Mitchell A. Petersen & Raghuram G. Rajan, 1994. "The Effect of Credit Market Competition on Lending Relationships," NBER Working Papers 4921, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Agoraki, Maria-Eleni & Delis, Manthos D & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2009.
"Regulations, competition and bank risk-taking in transition countries,"
16495, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Agoraki, Maria-Eleni K. & Delis, Manthos D. & Pasiouras, Fotios, 2011. "Regulations, competition and bank risk-taking in transition countries," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 38-48, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.