Introducing Forest Access Cost Functions into a General Equilibrium Model
AbstractThe purpose of this Research Memorandum is to propose an approach to incorporating forest access cost functions into global general equilibrium models such as GTAP. Towards this end, we develop a long run access cost function which can be calibrated to national data on total forest land, currently inaccessible forest land, forest land rents, and expected rates of return on investment. This is illustrated for an 11 region aggregation of the GTAP-AEZ data base. We find that this long run function generates far too high a rate of annual access, and so we introduce a short run component which introduces a quadratic term into the cost function. This can be chosen to target current rates of forest access as reported by the FAO. Finally, we discuss the treatment of this new type of investment in the general equilibrium model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Center for Global Trade Analysis, Department of Agricultural Economics, Purdue University in its series GTAP Research Memoranda with number 2215.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Note: GTAP Research Memorandum No. 08
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 1145 Krannert Building, West Lafayette, IN 47907-1145
Phone: (765) 494-4267
Fax: 765 494-9176
Web page: http://www.gtap.agecon.purdue.edu/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Hubert, Marie-Helene & Nostbakken, Linda, 2012.
"The Long Run Impact of Biofuels on Food Prices,"
2012-11, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Ujjayant Chakravorty & Marie-Hélène Hubert & Michel Moreaux & Linda Nøstbakken, 2012. "Do Biofuel Mandates Raise Food Prices?," Economics Working Paper Archive (University of Rennes 1 & University of Caen) 201214, Center for Research in Economics and Management (CREM), University of Rennes 1, University of Caen and CNRS.
- Ujjayant Chakravorty & Marie-Hélène Hubert & Beyza Ural Marchand, 2012.
"Food for Fuel: The Effect of U.S. Energy Policy on Indian Poverty,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
3910, CESifo Group Munich.
- Chakravorty, Ujjayant & Hubert, Marie-Helene & Ural Marchand, Beyza, 2012. "Food for Fuel: The Effect of U.S. Energy Policy on Indian Poverty," Working Papers 2012-17, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Alvaro Calzadilla & Ruth Delzeit & Gernot Klepper, 2014. "DART-BIO: Modelling the interplay of food, feed and fuels in a global CGE model," Kiel Working Papers 1896, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jeremy Douglas).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.