Determinants and Specificities of Eco-innovations – An Econometric Analysis for the French and German Industry based on the Community Innovation Survey
AbstractMany recent papers deal with exploring and explaining the determinants of eco-innovations for different countries supporting the formulation of efficient policy measures to trigger eco-innovation activities of firms. Unfortunately, there is still a lack of cross-country analyses allowing recognizing “international” stylized facts, but also regional characteristics of eco-innovations. Based on data from the fourth Community Innovation Survey (CIS) for France and Germany, the present paper tries to contribute to fill this gap. Using econometric methods, we are able to detect remarkable similarities between the different determinants of eco-innovation in the two countries. The results confirm the central role of regulation and cost savings as motivations for eco-innovation. Furthermore, eco-innovative activities seem to require more external sources of knowledge and information than innovation in general.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée in its series Cahiers du GREThA with number 2011-17.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex
Phone: +33 (0)188.8.131.52.75
Fax: +33 (0)184.108.40.206.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Eco-Innovation; Industry; Discrete Choice Models;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q55 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Technological Innovation
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
- C25 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Discrete Regression and Qualitative Choice Models; Discrete Regressors; Proportions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-07 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2011-05-07 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-DCM-2011-05-07 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-EUR-2011-05-07 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INO-2011-05-07 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2011-05-07 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-MIC-2011-05-07 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-REG-2011-05-07 (Regulation)
- NEP-SBM-2011-05-07 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Vanessa OLTRA (GREThA UMR CNRS 5113), 2008. "Environmental innovation and industrial dynamics: the contributions of evolutionary economics," Cahiers du GREThA 2008-28, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Crepon, B. & Duguet, E. & Kabla, I., 1995. "A Moderate Support to Schumpeterian Conjectures from Various Innovation Measures," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 95.06, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- del Río González, Pablo, 2009. "The empirical analysis of the determinants for environmental technological change: A research agenda," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 861-878, January.
- Nabila Arfaoui, 2014. "Eco-innovation and Regulatory Push/Pull Effect in the Case of REACH Regulation: Empirical Evidence from Survey Data," GREDEG Working Papers 2014-19, Groupe de REcherche en Droit, Economie, Gestion (GREDEG CNRS), University of Nice Sophia Antipolis.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Simone Borghesi, 2012. "The European Emission Trading Scheme and environmental innovation diffusion: Empirical analyses using Italian CIS data," Working Papers 201201, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Doran, Justin & Ryan, Geraldine, 2012. "Regulation and Firm Perception, Eco-Innovation and Firm Performance," MPRA Paper 44578, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- LE BAS Christian & POUSSING Nicolas, 2013.
"Firm voluntary measures for environmental changes, eco-innovations and CSR: Empirical analyses based on data surveys,"
CEPS/INSTEAD Working Paper Series
- Christian Le Bas & Nicolas Poussing, 2013. "Firm voluntary measures for environmental changes, eco-innovations and CSR : Empirical analysis based on data surveys," Working Papers 1322, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Christian Le Bas & Nicolas Poussing, 2013. "Firm voluntary measures for environmental changes, eco-innovations and CSR : Empirical analysis based on data surveys," Working Papers halshs-00838005, HAL.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Davide Antonioli & Susanna Mancinelli, 2012. "Environmental Innovations and Organizational Change: Is Complementarity a Firmâ€™s Asset in the Green Economy?," Working Papers 201212, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Sandro Montresor, 2011.
"Environmental innovations, local networks and internationalization,"
201101, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Sandro Montresor, 2012. "Environmental Innovations, Local Networks and Internationalization," Industry and Innovation, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(8), pages 697-734, November.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Sandro Montresor, 2011. "Environmental Innovations, Local Networks and Internationalization," Working Papers 2011.20, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Sandro Montresor, 2011. "Environmental innovations, local networks and internationalization," Openloc Working Papers 1108, Public policies and local development.
- Simone Borghesi & Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti, 2012. "Brown Sunsets and Green Dawns in the Industrial Sector: Environmental Innovations, Firm Behavior and the European Emission Trading," Working Papers 2012.03, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Davide Antonioli & Francesco Nicolli & Marianna Gilli, 2013. "Information Technology, Environmental Innovations and Complementarity Strategies," Working Papers 2013132, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Vanessa OLTRA & Maïder SAINT JEAN, 2009. "Environmental Innovations and Industrial Dynamics (In French)," Cahiers du GREThA 2009-22, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- Horbach, Jens, 2013. "Do eco-innovations need specific regional characteristics? An econometric analysis for Germany," Annual Conference 2013 (Duesseldorf): Competition Policy and Regulation in a Global Economic Order 79927, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Roberto Zoboli, 2011. "Enviromental Innovations, Complementarity and Local/Global Cooperation," Working Papers 201104, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Davide Antonioli & Simone Borghesi & Massimiliano Mazzanti, 2014.
"Are regional systems greening the economy? The role of environmental innovations and agglomeration forces,"
SEEDS Working Papers
0414, SEEDS, Sustainability Environmental Economics and Dynamics Studies, revised Feb 2014.
- Davide Antonioli & Simone Borghesi & Massimiliano Mazzanti, 2014. "Are Regional Systems Greening the Economy? the Role of Environmental Innovations and Agglomeration Forces," Working Papers 2014.42, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Triguero, Angela & Moreno-Mondéjar, Lourdes & Davia, María A., 2013. "Drivers of different types of eco-innovation in European SMEs," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 92(C), pages 25-33.
- Jens Horbach, 2010. "The Impact of Innovation Activities on Employment in the Environmental Sector - Empirical Results for Germany at the firm Level," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 230(4), pages 403-419, August.
- Massimiliano Mazzanti & Davide Antonioli & Susanna Mancinelli, 2011. "Are Environmental Innovations Embedded within High-Performance Organizational Changes?," Working Papers 201115, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.