Jacques Laffitte, an investment banker who did not create a model for investment banking (In French)
AbstractThe research program about the history of investment banking gauged in this text the legacy of Jacques Laffitte, one of the initiators of modern investment banking in the years 1800-1840. It assesses the reality of his contributions and argues about their role within the process of modernisation of the Paris banking market at the heart of the first stage of the first industrial revolution. It tried to precise the limits of the breakthroughs achieved by Laffitte within the banking economy of the merchant banks of this time and to explain the flaws of its competitiveness.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée in its series Cahiers du GREThA with number 2007-22.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Avenue Léon Duguit, 33608 Pessac Cedex
Phone: +33 (0)18.104.22.168.75
Fax: +33 (0)22.214.171.124.47
Web page: http://gretha.u-bordeaux4.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Bank; investment banking; banking history; first industrial revolution; Paris market place; merchant banking;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- N23 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: Pre-1913
- N24 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Europe: 1913-
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-12-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-12-01 (Banking)
- NEP-HIS-2007-12-01 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2007-12-01 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.