French banks in Hong Kong (1860s-1950s): Challengers to British banks?
AbstractFrench banking expansion in China and South-East Asia had to respect the powerful influence of British banks there. From the 1860s French merchant and banking interests had been involved in Hong Kong business because of the colonial developments in Indochina and the links between this area and the Hong Kong centre. The growth of commercial links between the colony and China favoured further integration of banking and currency exchanges with Hong Kong, through the Banque de l’Indochine corporation, competing with Hsbc. It was itself committed to finance Asian-French commercial flows (silk, etc.) directly (Lyon, Bordeaux, Paris) or indirectly (London branch) took part to banking links with France. But Hong Kong also became a bridgehead for Banque de l’Indochine into southern China (Canton, etc.) from the1890s up to the 1930s and, in parallel with the Shanghai branch, its branch there asserted itself as a part of French expansion in the Far-East.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupement de Recherches Economiques et Sociales in its series Cahiers du GRES with number 2007-15.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Imperialism; First Globalization; Bank; Overseas; China; Hong-Kong; Guangzhou;
Other versions of this item:
- Hubert BONIN (GREThA), 2007. "French banks in Hong Kong (1860s-1950s): Challengers to British banks?," Cahiers du GREThA 2007-09, Groupe de Recherche en Economie Théorique et Appliquée.
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- N25 - Economic History - - Financial Markets and Institutions - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2007-06-30 (Banking)
- NEP-CNA-2007-06-30 (China)
- NEP-HIS-2007-06-30 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-SEA-2007-06-30 (South East Asia)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vincent Frigant).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.