Firm Entry And Post-Entry Performance In The U.S. Chemical Industries
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of entry on the structure of the U.S. chemical industries in the period 1963-1982. The paper measures both the immediate impact of entrants in terms of number, size and market shares and their subsequent growth and/or exit. Particular attention is devoted to the examination of entrant heterogeneity. The paper finds that while a large number of entrants appear in the chemical industries, they have a relatively small long-run impact. In addition, compared to previous work entrants are less important in the chemical industries than in manufacturing sector as a whole. Finally, the post-entry performance of new firms varies significantly across different categories of entry.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics in its series Papers with number 7-88-2.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 1988
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS, UNIVERSITY PARK PENNSYLVANIA 16802 U.S.A.
Web page: http://econ.la.psu.edu/
More information through EDIRC
enterprises ; competition ; chemical industry;
Other versions of this item:
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989. "Firm Entry and Postentry Performance in the U.S. Chemical Industries," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 32(2), pages S233-71, October.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988. "Firm Entry And Post-Entry Performance In The U.S. Chemical Industries," Papers 0-88-4, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1989. "Firm Entry and Post-Entry Performance in the U.S. Chemical Industries," Working Papers 89-6, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Shepherd, Dean A. & Ettenson, Richard & Crouch, Andrew, 2000. "New venture strategy and profitability: A venture capitalist's assessment," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 15(5-6), pages 449-467.
- De Silva, Dakshina G. & McComb, Robert P., 2009.
"Research universities and regional high-tech firm start-ups and exit,"
13022, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Dakshina G. De Silva & Robert Mccomb, 2012. "Research Universities And Regional High‐Tech Firm Start‐Up And Exit," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 50(1), pages 112-130, 01.
- Plehn-Dujowich, Jose M., 2009. "Entry and exit by new versus existing firms," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 214-222, March.
- Siow, Aloysius & Zhu, Xiaodong, 1997. "The creation of plants and firms," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 141-178, November.
- Barros, Pedro Pita, 1995. "Post-entry expansion in banking: The case of Portugal," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 593-611, December.
- Doms, Mark & Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J., 1995. "The role of technology use in the survival and growth of manufacturing plants," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 523-542, December.
- Stefan Bojnec & Ana Xavier, 2004. "Entry and exit in transition economies: the Slovenian manufacturing sector," Post-Communist Economies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 16(2), pages 191-214.
- Robert H Mcguckin, 1990. "Longitudinal Economic Data At The Census Bureau: A New Database Yields Fresh Insight On Some Old Issues," Working Papers 90-1, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Brandts, Jordi & Yao, Lan, 2010. "Ambiguous Information and Market Entry: An Experimental Study," MPRA Paper 25276, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Loderer, Claudio & Waelchli, Urs, 2010. "Firm age and performance," MPRA Paper 26450, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Mata, José & Portugal, Pedro, 1995.
"The Survival of New Plants: Start-up Conditions and Post-entry Evolution,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro & Guimaraes, Paulo, 1995. "The survival of new plants: Start-up conditions and post-entry evolution," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 459-481, December.
- Tain-Jy Chen & Grace Wu, 1996. "Determinants of divestment of FDI in Taiwan," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 132(1), pages 172-184, March.
- KAWAKAMI Atsushi & MIYAGAWA Tsutomu, 2010. "Product Switching and Firm Performance in Japan," Discussion papers 10043, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.