A Portrait of the Artist as a Young, Middle-Aged, and Elderly Man
AbstractWe explore the age-value and age-quantity productivity proles of fty- three great Western artists whose work has been auctioned in the last decade. In terms of the average value of their paintings, we nd that artists have three distinct phases to their careers: a steep incline, more than doubling their expected value until an age 31 peak; then follows a slower decline until age 47, losing almost half their peak value, and nally a very slow decline. The top quartile of artists distinguish themselves not only by a higher average value, but also in midcareer by losing only a fth of their peak value in 31-47.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory in its series Papers with number 99-06.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN, DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMICS CENTER FOR RESEARCH ON ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL THEORY, ANN ARBOR MICHIGAN U.S.A.
WORKERS ; PRODUCTIVITY ; ARTISTS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L62 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - Automobiles; Other Transportation Equipment
- Z10 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lutz Schneider, 2007. "Alterung und technologisches Innovationspotential : Eine Linked-Employer-Employee-Analyse," IWH Discussion Papers 2, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Lutz Schneider, 2006. "Sind ältere Beschäftigte weniger produktiv? Eine empirische Analyse anhand des LIAB," IWH Discussion Papers 13, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.