The State of State Government Finances in India
AbstractThe financial condition of the state governments in India has been a cause for concern for sometime now. Over the years, the consolidated financial position of the state governments has shown a marked deterioration in some of their major deficit indicators. One of the fundamental weaknesses of state government finances in India can be attributed to the increases in non- developmental expenditure, particularly the revenue component of the non-developmental expenditure, and interest payments as a proportion of revenue receipts. Structural imbalances in the form of large revenue deficits, rising interest burden, increasing distortions in the pattern of expenditure, and very slow growing non-tax revenues are major problem areas for state finances.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Harvard - Institute for International Development in its series Papers with number 719.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: CAER Project, Harvard Institute for International Development, 14 Story Street, Cambridge MA 02138O
Web page: http://www.hiid.harvard.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H72 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - State and Local Budget and Expenditures
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lavrov, Aleksei & Litwack, John & Sutherland, Douglas, 2001. "Fiscal federalist relations in Russia: a case for subnational autonomy," MPRA Paper 26537, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.