The Dynamics of Entry, Exit and Profitability: An Error Correction Approach for the Retail Industry
AbstractWe develop a two equation error correction model to investigate determinants of and dynamic interaction between changes in profits and number of firms in retailing. An explicit distinction is made between the effects of actual competition among incumbents, new firms competition, and potential competition from firms outside the market. Effects of cost, demand and general income changes on profitability are investigated to gain insight in the role of retailing in the cost, demand and wage inflationary process. The relative importance of profitability, growth and unemployment as determinants of net entry are studied. The model is tested using a panel data set of 36 Dutch shoptypes covering the 1977-1988 period. Copyright 1994 by Kluwer Academic Publishers
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus University of Rotterdam - Institute for Economic Research in its series Papers with number 9308-g.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: ERASMUS UNIVERSITY OF ROTTERDAM, INSTITUTE FOR ECONOMIC RESEOB.O. BOX 1738 ROTTERDAM THE NETHERLANDS.
Phone: 31 10 4081111
Web page: http://www.few.eur.nl/few/
More information through EDIRC
profit ; retail trade;
Other versions of this item:
- Carree, Martin & Thurik, Roy, 1994. " The Dynamics of Entry, Exit and Profitability: An Error Correction Approach for the Retail Industry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 6(2), pages 107-16, April.
- Carree, Martin & Thurik, Roy, 1994. "The dynamics of entry, exit and profitability: an error correction approach for the retail industry," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3850, Maastricht University.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2003.
"Does Foreign Direct Investment Crowd Out Domestic Entrepreneurship?,"
Review of Industrial Organization,
Springer, vol. 22(1), pages 67-84, February.
- Koen De Backer & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2002. "Does foreign direct investment crowd out domestic entrepreneurship?," Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School Working Paper Series 2002-14, Vlerick Leuven Gent Management School.
- Carree, Martin A., 2002.
"Does unemployment affect the number of establishments? A regional analysis for U.S. States,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3898, Maastricht University.
- Martin Carree, 2002. "Does Unemployment Affect the Number of Establishments? A Regional Analysis for US States," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(4), pages 389-398.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Andrew Burke, 2008. "Investigating Blue Ocean v. Competitive Strategy: A Statistical Analysis of the Retail Industry," Scales Research Reports H200801, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Carree, M.A. & Thurik, A.R., 1999.
"The carrying capacity and entry and exit flows in retailing,"
Open Access publications from Maastricht University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3947, Maastricht University.
- Carree, M. A. & Thurik, A. R., 1999. "The carrying capacity and entry and exit flows in retailing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 985-1007, October.
- Robert M. Feinberg, 2009. "Foreign Competition and Small-Firm Entry in US Manufacturing," Working Papers 2009-04, American University, Department of Economics.
- André van Stel & Roy Thurik & Dennis Fok & Andrew Burke, 2009. "The Dynamics of Entry and Exit," Scales Research Reports H200907, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Koen de Backer, 2002. "Does foreign direct investment crowd out domestic entrepreneurship?," Economics Working Papers 618, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.