Multinational Companies and the entry of Indigenous Firms: Panel Data Evidence for Ireland
AbstractThis paper presents an empirical study of the effect of foreign multinational companies on the entry of indigenous firms in the fost country, using data for the Irish manufacturing sector. Our starting point is a recent paper by Markusen and Venables (1999), that shows formally that multinationals, through the creation of linkages with indigenous suppliers, can exert positive effects on the development of indigenous firms. Based on the literature on entry in industrial organisation theory, we estimate empirically a model describing the entry of indigenous frims in Irish manufacturing.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by College Dublin, Department of Political Economy- in its series Papers with number 99/8.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Ireland; University College Dublin, Department of Political Economy, Centre for Economic Research, Belfield, Dublin 4
Fax: +353-1-283 0068
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/economics/
More information through EDIRC
IRELAND ; MANUFACTURES ; INTERNATIONAL ECONOMY;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Holger Gorg & Frances Ruane, 2001. "Multinational Companies and Linkages: Panel-Data Evidence for the Irish Electronics Sector," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(1), pages 1-18.
- Holger Görg & Frances Ruane, 2000. "An Analysis of Backward Linkages in the Irish Electronics Sector," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 31(3), pages 215-235.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.