An Analysis of Backward Linkages in the Irish Electronics Sector
AbstractThis paper analyses the development and the determinants of backward linkages between electronics firms and domestic sub-suppliers in Ireland using data for 1982 to 1995. We find that, even when controlling for other firm and sector specific factors, foreign firms have lower linkages than Irish firms. Our results also suggest both foreign and indigenous firms have increased their material linkages over time, which points to the success of Ireland’s industrial policy of developing electronics clusters. Furthermore, we find that there are differences in the determinants of linkages between foreign and indigenous firms, and that these differ as between service and material linkages.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Economic and Social Studies in its journal Economic and Social Review.
Volume (Year): 31 (2000)
Issue (Month): 3 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esr.ie
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J., 1994.
"Globalization and the Inequality of Nations,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 1995. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," NBER Working Papers 5098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," Working Paper Series 430, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Swenson, Deborah L, 2000. "Firm Outsourcing Decisions: Evidence from U.S. Foreign Trade Zones," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 38(2), pages 175-89, April.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J., 1996.
"Integration, specialization, and adjustment,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 959-967, April.
- Baltagi, Badi H., 1985. "Pooling cross-sections with unequal time-series lengths," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 18(2-3), pages 133-136.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996.
"Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- G. S. Maddala, 1987. "Limited Dependent Variable Models Using Panel Data," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 22(3), pages 307-338.
- Venables, Anthony J, 1996.
"Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 37(2), pages 341-59, May.
- Anthony J. Venables, 1993. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," CEP Discussion Papers dp0137, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Venables, Anthony J., 1993. "Equilibrium Locations of Vertically Linked Industries," CEPR Discussion Papers 802, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- P N O'Farrell & B O'Loughlin, 1981. "New industry input linkages in Ireland: an econometric analysis," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 13(3), pages 285-308, March.
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999.
"Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rodriguez-Clare, Andres, 1996. "Multinationals, Linkages, and Economic Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(4), pages 852-73, September.
- Holger Görg & Frances Ruane, 2000. "European Integration and Peripherality: Lessons from the Irish Experience," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 23(3), pages 405-421, 03.
- Gorg, H. & Strobl, E., 1999. "Multinational Companies and the entry of Indigenous Firms: Panel Data Evidence for Ireland," Papers 99/8, College Dublin, Department of Political Economy-.
- Frances Ruane & Holger GÃ¶rg, 1997. "The Impact of Foreign Direct Investment on Sectoral Adjustment in the Irish Economy," National Institute Economic Review, National Institute of Economic and Social Research, vol. 160(1), pages 76-86, April.
- Roper, Stephen & Love, James H., 2002. "Innovation and export performance: evidence from the UK and German manufacturing plants," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(7), pages 1087-1102, September.
- Adelheid Holl, 2007.
"Production Subcontracting and Location,"
- Lucia Pérez-Villar & Adnan Seric, 2014. "Multinationals in Sub-Saharan Africa: Domestic Linkages and Institutional Distance," Kiel Working Papers 1893, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- David Bailey & Helena Lenihan & Ajit Singh, 2009. "Lessons for African Economies from Irish and East Asian Industrial Policy," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 9(4), pages 357-382, December.
- Görg, Holger & Henry, Michael & Strobl, Eric & Walsh, Frank, 2006.
"Multinational Companies, Backward Linkages and Labour Demand Elasticities,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2506, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Holger Görg & Michael Henry & Eric Strobl & Frank Walsh, 2009. "Multinational companies, backward linkages, and labour demand elasticities," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 42(1), pages 332-348, February.
- Holger Görg & Michael Henry & Eric Strobl & Frank Walsh, 2006. "Multinational Companies, Backward Linkages and Labour Demand Elasticities," Working Papers 200628, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
- repec:eso:journl:v:41:y:2010:i:3:p:283-299 is not listed on IDEAS
- Barry, Frank, 2005. "Future Irish Growth: Opportunities, Catalysts, Constraints," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2005(4-Winter), pages 1-25.
- Linares Navarro, E. & Pla Barber, J. & Puig Blanco, F, 2009. "La Estrategia De Outsourcing Internacional En España: Una Aproximación A Los Sectores Manufactureros Tradicionales / The Strategy Of International Outsourcing In Spain: An Approximation To The Tradi," Investigaciones Europeas de Dirección y Economía de la Empresa (IEDEE), Academia Europea de Dirección y Economía de la Empresa (AEDEM), vol. 15(3), pages 55-67.
- Audia, Pino G. & Rider, Christopher I., 2010. "Close, but not the same: Locally headquartered organizations and agglomeration economies in a declining industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 360-374, April.
- Hewitt-Dundas, Nola & Roper, Stephen, 2002. "Closing the knowledge gap in Irish manufacturing - a north-south comparison," ERSA conference papers ersa02p382, European Regional Science Association.
- Barbosa, Natália & Eiriz, Vasco, 2009. "Linking corporate productivity to foreign direct investment: An empirical assessment," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-13, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.