From 'Frugal Comfort' to Ten Thousand a Year: Trade and Growth in the Irish Economy" October 1998
AbstractWhy, after more than a half-century of under-performance, has the Irish economy finally found its feet? A recent authoritative study suggests five factors, without attempting to rank them: shifting demographic structure, increasing human capital, infrastructural investment, a benign macroeconomic environment, and the opening up of the economy to the imports and foreign capital. This chapter takes a longer view of the last of these. It sets the retreat from the protectionist regime installd in the 1930s in context (Part 2) and asseses its consequences (Parts 3 and 4). It then compares trends in the two Irish economies before and after trade liberalization (Part 5), and briefly concludes (Part 6).
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by College Dublin, Department of Political Economy- in its series Papers with number 98/16.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: 1998
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Ireland; University College Dublin, Department of Political Economy, Centre for Economic Research, Belfield, Dublin 4
Fax: +353-1-283 0068
Web page: http://www.ucd.ie/economics/
More information through EDIRC
IRELAND ; ECONOMIC GROWTH ; INTERNATIONAL TRADE;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F1 - International Economics - - Trade
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cormac Ó Gráda, 2008. "The Irish Economy half a Century ago," Working Papers 200818, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.