Tax Amnesties in India; An Empirical Evaluation
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to provide empirical estimates of the revenue impact of Indian income tax amnesties between 1965 and 1993. A theoretical framework in a companion paper examines the role of amnesties in allowing taxpayers to launder assets accumulated by past tax evasion. Based on this theory, a dummy variable technique to study the impact of amnesties on revenue is developed and applied to Indian data. Only the 1975 amnestv appears to have had a positive impact on revenue while other amnesties having negligible or even negative effects. These results support the hypothesis that adverse compliance effects of amnesties or falling penalty collection can overwhelm direct gains from an amnesty.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Boston University, Institute for Economic Development in its series Boston University - Institute for Economic Development with number 53.
Date of creation: Apr 1995
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicolas Marceau & Steeve Mongrain, 2000. "Amnesties and Co-operation," International Tax and Public Finance, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 259-273, May.
- Arindam Das-Gupta & Radhika Lahiri & Dilip Mookherjee, 1995.
"Income Tax Compliance in India: An Empirical Analysis,"
Boston University - Institute for Economic Development
57, Boston University, Institute for Economic Development.
- Das-Gupta, Arindam & Lahiri, Radhika & Mookherjee, Dilip, 1995. "Income tax compliance in India: An empirical analysis," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(12), pages 2051-2064, December.
- Julio López Laborda & Fernando Rodrigo Sauco, . "Incidencia de la amnistía fiscal de 1991 en el cumplimiento a largo plazo en el IRPF," Studies on the Spanish Economy 106, FEDEA.
- Bose, Pinaki & Jetter, Michael, 2012. "Liberalization and tax amnesty in a developing economy," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 761-765.
- Julio López Laborda & Fernando Rodrigo Sauco, 2002. "El análisis económico de las amnistías fiscales: ¿Qué hemos aprendido hasta ahora?," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 163(4), pages 121-153, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.