Competitive theories for economies with general transactions technology
AbstractIn this paper, the authors describe and compare two approaches to analyzing transactions costs in a general equilibrium setting. In the first approach, which the authors label the transactions costs approach, the commodity space is the same as that used in models without transactions costs. In the second approach, which we label the valuation equilibrium approach, the commodity space is chosen so that the exchange problem can be formulated as an instance of the abstract exchange model described in Debreu (1954). The authors argue that the valuation equilibrium approach provides a tractable framework for quantitative studies of the effects of transactions costs on economy-wide resource allocation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia in its series Working Papers with number 99-18.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2000-01-31 (All new papers)
- NEP-IND-2000-01-31 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-INO-2000-01-31 (Innovation)
- NEP-TID-2000-01-31 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Satyajit Chatterjee & Dean Corbae, 1995.
"Valuation equilibria with transactions costs,"
Working Papers, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia
95-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Chatterjee, Satyajit & Corbae, Dean, 1995. "Valuation Equilibria with Transactions Costs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 85(2), pages 287-90, May.
- Kurz, Mordecai, 1974. "Arrow-Debreu Equilibrium of an Exchange Economy with Transaction Cost," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 15(3), pages 699-717, October.
- Heller, Walter Perrin & Starr, Ross M, 1976. "Equilibrium with Non-convex Transactions Costs: Monetary and Non-monetary Economies," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(2), pages 195-215, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Beth Paul).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.