The perils of globalization: offshoring and economic insecurity of the American worker
AbstractAccording to polls from the 2006 congressional elections, globalization and economic insecurity were the primary concerns of many voters. These Americans apparently believe that they have fallen victim to liberal trade polices and that inexorable trends in globalization are destroying the American Dream. In this analysis, we use time series cross-section data from the General Social Survey (GSS) to examine the links among offshoring, labor market volatility, and the demand for social insurance. Unique among the GSS literature, our analysis includes a pseudo-panel model which permits including auxiliary state and regional macroeconomic information.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis in its series Working Papers with number 2007-004.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-06-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-06-23 (Business Economics)
- NEP-POL-2007-06-23 (Positive Political Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2010. "Globalisation, labour markets and international adjustment - Essays in honour of Palle S Andersen," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 50, May.
- Brown, Clair & Lane, Julia & Sturgeon, Timothy, 2010.
"Workers' Views of the Impact of Trade on Jobs,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5368, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Clair Brown & Julia Lane & Timothy Sturgeon, 2013. "Workers' Views of the Impact of Trade on Jobs," Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(1), pages 1-21, 01.
- William Milberg & Deborah Winkler, 2009. "Globalization, Offshoring and Economic Insecurity in Industrialized Countries," Working Papers 87, United Nations, Department of Economics and Social Affairs.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.