The response of the term structure of interest rates to federal funds rate target changes
AbstractIn this paper, we first specify a theoretical model of the term structure's response to federal funds rate target changes. The model considers not only the immediate response to target changes, but also the response in anticipation of a policy change. The model is then estimated over the 1974-79 and 1987-95 periods, and the model's restrictions cannot be rejected. The results suggest that policy changes have become more predictable since 1987, causing more of the target change to be reflected in market yields before the policy action is taken. The results also suggest that the economic shocks the Federal Reserve chooses to offset are very persistent, if not permanent.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City in its series Research Working Paper with number 96-08.
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Roberto Rigobon & Brian Sack, 2002.
"The impact of monetary policy on asset prices,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2002-4, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Lee, Jim, 2006. "The impact of federal funds target changes on interest rate volatility," International Review of Economics & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 241-259.
- Söderström, Ulf, 1999.
"Predicting monetary policy using federal funds future prices,"
Working Paper Series
85, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Söderström, Ulf, 1999. "Predicting monetary policy using federal funds futures prices," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 307, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Lee, Jim, 2002. "Federal funds rate target changes and interest rate volatility," Journal of Economics and Business, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 159-191.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lu Dayrit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.