PSAF, economic capital, and the new Basel Accord
AbstractThe 1980 Monetary Control Act requires Reserve Banks to recover their costs of providing payments services over time, including a normal return on capital-that is, the same after-tax return on equity that a private firm would require. To date, this private-sector adjustment factor has been estimated and applied as a single hurdle rate for all Reserve Bank payments services. Capital budgeting theory suggests that firms should use a different hurdle rate for each distinct type of activity according to its risks. For Reserve Bank payments services, this might entail estimating separate private-sector adjustment factors for paper-based services and for electronic services. Alternatively, a single hurdle rate of capital could be used for all services if capital were allocated to each service according to its risk.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland in its series Working Paper with number 0111.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-11-05 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jose A. Lopez, 2001. "Federal Reserve banks' imputed cost of equity capital," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue aug10.
- Edward J. Green & Jose A. Lopez & Zhenyu Wang, 2001. "The Federal Reserve banks' imputed cost of equity capital," Working Paper Series 2001-01, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Michelle L. Barnes & Jose A. Lopez, 2005.
"Alternative measures of the Federal Reserve banks' cost of equity capital,"
Public Policy Discussion Paper
05-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Barnes, Michelle L. & Lopez, Jose A., 2006. "Alternative measures of the Federal Reserve Banks' cost of equity capital," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 1687-1711, June.
- Michelle L. Barnes & Jose Lopez, 2005. "Alternative measures of the Federal Reserve banks' cost of equity capital," Working Paper Series 2005-06, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lee Faulhaber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.