Demand Estimation for Italian Newspapers: The Impact of Weekly Supplements
AbstractThis paper looks at a form of non-price competition that has taken place in the Italian newspaper market, whereby weekly supplements are sold with the newspaper at a higher price. I estimate the impact of this selling strategy using a logit and a nested logit model of demand on a panel of Italian newspapers. I show that supplements increase the readership both in the weekday of issue and in the average weekday. This suggests that supplements are a way to attract new readers for the newspaper. This promotional effect is due both to business stealing and to market expansion.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series Economics Working Papers with number ECO2004/28.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L82 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Entertainment; Media
- C33 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-08-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2005-08-17 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-CUL-2005-09-05 (Cultural Economics)
- NEP-DCM-2005-08-16 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-MIC-2005-08-15 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-MKT-2005-08-15 (Marketing)
- NEP-TID-2005-08-15 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Argentesi, Elena & Ivaldi, Marc, 2005. "Market Definition in Printed Media Industry: Theory and Practice," IDEI Working Papers 376, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- Elena Argentesi & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2005.
"Estimating market power in a two-sided market: the case of newspapers,"
Economics Working Papers
ECO2005/07, European University Institute.
- Elena Argentesi & Lapo Filistrucchi, 2007. "Estimating market power in a two-sided market: The case of newspapers," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(7), pages 1247-1266.
- Argentesi, Elena & Ivaldi, Marc, 2005. "Market Definition in the Printed Media Industry: Theory and Practice," CEPR Discussion Papers 5096, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lapo Filistrucchi, 2005. "The Impact of Internet on the Market for Daily Newspapers in Italy," Economics Working Papers ECO2005/12, European University Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcia Gastaldo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.