Non-Cooperative Network Formation with Network Maintenance Costs
AbstractThis paper presents a model of non-cooperative network formation similar to Bala and Goyal (2000), except that marginal costs in the size of the network is increasing. Agents link among each other to gain information and update their links according to a better reply dynamics. In the long run the system settles in a state that consists of starred-wheel networks. This is reminiscent of some real world features. Collections of smaller disjoint networks connecting few agents are more common than global networks connecting all agents of the community. Di.erences within a connected component such as core and periphery are established.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European University Institute in its series Economics Working Papers with number ECO2004/18.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Badia Fiesolana, Via dei Roccettini, 9, 50016 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) Italy
Web page: http://www.eui.eu/ECO/
More information through EDIRC
Networks; Coordination; Learning dynamics; Non-cooperative games;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C72 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Noncooperative Games
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-06-02 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gaudeul, Alexia & Mathieu, Laurence & Peroni, Chiara, 2008. "Blogs and the Economics of Reciprocal Attention," MPRA Paper 11298, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- K.J.M. De Jaegher & J.J.A. Kamphorst, 2008. "Network formation with decreasing marginal benefits of information," Working Papers 08-16, Utrecht School of Economics.
- Filippo Vergara Caffarelli, 2009. "Networks with decreasing returns to linking," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 734, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- M. Ziliotti, 2007. "I prezzi di accesso alle reti di servizi di pubblica utilità: una sintesi teorica," Economics Department Working Papers 2007-EP01, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- D'Ignazio, A. & Giovannetti, E., 2004. "From Exogenous to Endogenous Networks: Internet Applications," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0445, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- K. De Jaegher & J.J.A. Kamphorst, 2010.
"Two-way Flow Networks with Small Decay,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
10-125/1, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marcia Gastaldo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.