EU governance and EU funds - testing the effectiveness of EU funds in a sound macroeconomic framework
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to empirically analyse whether sound fiscal and macroeconomic policies are beneficial to the achievement of the socio-economic development objectives enshrined in the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, and in particular whether sound policies have an impact on the effectiveness of European Structural and Investment Funds (ESI funds) in helping Member States to progress towards these socio-economic development objectives. Our econometric results show that sound fiscal policies proxied by low levels of government debt and deficit and sound macroeconomic policies proxied by low levels of net foreign liabilities are beneficial to socio-economic development. Furthermore, we find evidence that ESI funds are effective in helping Member States to enhance socio-economic development and this effectiveness is higher when combined with sound national fiscal and macroeconomic policies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 510.
Length: 76 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- H5 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2014-02-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2014-02-02 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-MAC-2014-02-02 (Macroeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Iana Paliova & Tonny Lybek, 2014. "Bulgariaâ€™s EU Funds Absorption: Maximizing the Potential!," IMF Working Papers 14/21, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.