Determinants of European cross-border mergers and acquisitions
AbstractThis paper investigates the determinants of European cross-border M&As using a large database. Specifically, we identify some of the different factors which contribute to the efficiency of the firms and divide these into two groups: those which can be changed through a merger or acquisition and those which cannot be altered and are more related to the environment where the acquired firm is established. Using a gravity model we find evidence for both of what have become to be known as the governance and outcome hypotheses. Additionally, we do not find any supporting evidence for more intense M&A activity between euro-zone countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission in its series European Economy - Economic Papers with number 212.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Coomunivcations Unit, B-1049 Bruxelles / Brussels
Fax: +32 2 298.08.23
Web page: http://ec.europa.eu/economy_finance/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
mergers and acquisitions; mergers; acquisitions; cross-border; M&A; Manchin;
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Görg, Holger & Hijzen, Alexander & Manchin, Miriam, 2007. "Cross-Border Mergers & Acquisitions and the Role of Trade Costs," CEPR Discussion Papers 6397, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Josipa Visic, 2012. "Evidence of Fire-Sale M&A in European Transition Countries," Managing Global Transitions, University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper, vol. 10(4 (Winter), pages 325-340.
- Damiani, Mirella & Pompei, Fabrizio, 2008.
"Mergers, acquisitions and technological regimes: the European experience over the period 2002- 2005,"
8226, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Mirella Daminai & Fabrizio Pompei, 2008. "Mergers, acquisitions and technological regimes: the European experience over the period 2002-2005," Quaderni del Dipartimento di Economia, Finanza e Statistica 46/2008, Università di Perugia, Dipartimento Economia, Finanza e Statistica.
- Hijzen, Alexander & Görg, Holger & Manchin, Miriam, 2008.
"Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and the role of trade costs,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 52(5), pages 849-866, July.
- Alexander Hijzen & Holger G�rg & Miriam Manchin, 2006. "Cross-border mergers and acquisitions and the role of trade costs," European Economy - Economic Papers 242, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Vancea Mariana, 2011. "European Cross-Border Mergers And Acquisitions- Realities And Perspectives," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 306-313, July.
- Umber, Marc P. & Grote, Michael H. & Frey, Rainer, 2014. "Same as it ever was? Europe's national borders and the market for corporate control," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 40(C), pages 109-127.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (ECFIN INFO).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.