Evidence of Fire-Sale M&A in European Transition Countries
AbstractThe aim of this paper is to determine differences in variables that create investment climate and therefore affect the values of incoming crossborder M&A in selected European transition countries. Cluster analysis for 1999 and 2007 shows that countries with unfavourable investment climate received high levels of incoming cross-border M&A. Sole country in the cluster characterised by healthy investment area (Slovenia) had the highest GDP per capita accompanied with the lowest values of incoming cross-border M&A relative to its GDP. These results could be interpreted as an evidence of fire-sale M&A in most European transition countries. In 2010, situation changed and although recession left trace, data on cross-border M&A indicate that foreign investors focused more on companies which operated in countries with healthier economy. These results indicate that a healthy investment climate is necessary to provide a sustainable economic development of a country.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Primorska, Faculty of Management Koper in its journal Managing Global Transitions.
Volume (Year): 10 (2012)
Issue (Month): 4 (Winter) ()
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
- G34 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Mergers; Acquisitions; Restructuring; Corporate Governance
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:7:y:2008:i:8:p:1-12 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gunther Tichy, 2001. "What Do We Know about Success and Failure of Mergers?," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 347-394, December.
- Ang, James & Mauck, Nathan, 2011. "Fire sale acquisitions: Myth vs. reality," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 532-543, March.
- Miriam Manchin, 2004. "Determinants of European cross-border mergers and acquisitions," European Economy - Economic Papers 212, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Deng, Ping, 2009. "Why do Chinese firms tend to acquire strategic assets in international expansion?," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 74-84, January.
- Gunther Tichy, 2001. "What Do We Know about Success and Failure of Mergers?—Rejoinder," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 1(4), pages 431-440, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alen Jezovnik).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.