The Role of Collateral and Personal Guarantees in Relationship Lending: Evidence from Japan's Small Business Loan Market
AbstractThis paper investigates the role of collateral and personal guarantees in small business lending using the unique data set of Japan's small business loan market. Consistent with conventional theory, collateral is more likely to be pledged by riskier borrowers, implying they may be useful in mitigating debtor moral hazard. Contrary to conventional theory, we find that banks whose claims are either collateralized or personally guaranteed monitor borrowers more frequently. We also find that borrowers who establish long-term relationships with their main banks are more likely to pledge collateral. Our empirical evidence thus suggests that collateral and personal guarantees are complementary to relationship lending.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 05027.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2005-12-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-CFN-2005-12-09 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-ENT-2005-12-09 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-FMK-2005-12-09 (Financial Markets)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- OGAWA Kazuo & Elmer STERKEN & TOKUTSU Ichiro, 2007. "Multiple Bank Relationships and the Main Bank System: Evidence from a Matched Sample of Japanese Small Firms and Main Banks," Discussion papers 07027, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- HOSONO Kaoru & XU Peng, 2009. "Do Banks Have Private Information? Bank screening and ex-post small firm performance," Discussion papers 09016, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Bellucci, Andrea & Borisov, Alexander & Zazzaro, Alberto, 2010.
"Does gender matter in bank-firm relationships? Evidence from small business lending,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 34(12), pages 2968-2984, December.
- Andrea Bellucci & Alexander V. Borisov & Alberto Zazzaro, 2009. "Does Gender Matter in Bank-Firm Relationships? Evidence from Small Business Lending," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 31, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Kenshi Taketa & Gregory F. Udell, 2007. "Lending Channels and Financial Shocks: The Case of Small and Medium-Sized Enterprise Trade Credit and the Japanese Banking Crisis," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 25(2), pages 1-44, November.
- Allen N. Berger & Marco A. Espinosa-Vega & W. Scott Frame & Nathan H. Miller, 2007.
"Why do borrowers pledge collateral? new empirical evidence on the role of asymmetric information,"
2006-29, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Berger, Allen N. & Espinosa-Vega, Marco A. & Frame, W. Scott & Miller, Nathan H., 2011. "Why do borrowers pledge collateral? New empirical evidence on the role of asymmetric information," Journal of Financial Intermediation, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 55-70, January.
- Uchida, Hirofumi & Udell, Gregory F. & Watanabe, Wako, 2008.
"Bank size and lending relationships in Japan,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 242-267, June.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F.Udell & Wako Watanabe, 2007. "Bank Size and Lending Relationships in Japan," NBER Working Papers 13005, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F. Udell & Wako Watanabe, 2006. "Bank Size and Lending Relationships in Japan," Discussion papers 06029, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Bellucci, Andrea & Borisov, Alexander & Zazzaro, Alberto, 2013.
"Do banks price discriminate spatially? Evidence from small business lending in local credit markets,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4183-4197.
- Andrea Bellucci & Alexander V. Borisov & Alberto Zazzaro, 2013. "Do Banks Price Discriminate Spatially? Evidence from Small Business Lending in Local Credit Markets," Mo.Fi.R. Working Papers 79, Money and Finance Research group (Mo.Fi.R.) - Univ. Politecnica Marche - Dept. Economic and Social Sciences.
- Cadot, Julien, 2011. "Collaterals, Bank Monitoring and Performance: the Case of Newly Established Wine Farmers," 2011 Annual Meeting, July 24-26, 2011, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 103414, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Amedeo Argentiero, 2009. "Some New Evidence on the Role of Collateral: Lazy Banks or Diligent Banks?," ISAE Working Papers 113, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Giorgio Calcagnini & Fabio Farabullini & Germana Giombini, 2009. "Loans, Interest Rates and Guarantees: Is There a Link?," Working Papers 0904, University of Urbino Carlo Bo, Department of Economics, Society & Politics - Scientific Committee - L. Stefanini & G. Travaglini, revised 2009.
- Karel Janda, 2009. "Bankruptcies With Soft Budget Constraint," Manchester School, University of Manchester, vol. 77(4), pages 430-460, 07.
- Arroyo, Martín R., 2007. "Information Asymmetries, Credit Rationing And Banking Concentration: The Argentinean Case," MPRA Paper 10208, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Hirofumi Uchida & Gregory F. Udell & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2006. "SME financing and the choice of lending technology," Discussion papers 06025, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Arroyo, Martín R., 2007. "Banking concentration, information asymmetries and credit rationing: The Argentinean case," MPRA Paper 29968, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 30 Mar 2011.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.