Cournot Competition in the Electricity Market with Transmission Constraints
AbstractThis paper studies the market power of generators in the electricity market when transmission capacity is scarce. We consider a simple world of two generators providing electricity to their consumers through a single transmission line. In the literature, different Cournot equilibrium concepts have been developed. This paper applies these concepts and explains the implicit assumptions on the behavior of the System Operator made in those papers. We show that these implicit assumptions are not realistic. For an alternative role of the System Operator, we solve the Cournot equilibrium and compare the outcome. Furthermore, we show that the axiomatic equilibrium concept of Smeers and Wei (1997) is linked with the model of Oren (1997) and can also be defined as a Nash Equilibrium.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën in its series Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers with number ces0024.
Date of creation: Mar 2000
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Bert Willems, 2000. "Cournot competition in the electricity market with transmission constraints," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0004, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Energy, Transport and Environment.
- NEP-ALL-2008-04-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2008-04-12 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-ENE-2008-04-12 (Energy Economics)
- NEP-IND-2008-04-12 (Industrial Organization)
- NEP-MIC-2008-04-12 (Microeconomics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Guido Pepermans & Bert Willems, 2004. "Ramsey Pricing in a Congested Network with Market Power in Generation: A Numerical Illustration for Belgium," Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series ete0408, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Energy, Transport and Environment.
- Guido Pepermans & Bert Willems, 2005.
"The potential impact of cross-ownership in transmission: An application to the Belgian electricity market,"
Energy, Transport and Environment Working Papers Series
ete0501, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën, Energy, Transport and Environment.
- Guido Pepermans & Bert Willems, 2005. "The Potential Impact of Cross-Ownership in Transmission: an Application to the Belgian Electricity Market," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces0503, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Daniel A. Benitez, 2004. "On Quantity Competition and Transmission Constraints in Electricity Market," Econometric Society 2004 Latin American Meetings 98, Econometric Society.
- Robert Wilson, 2005.
"Supply Function Equilibrium in a Constrained Transmission System,"
784828000000000087, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Wilson, Robert B., 2007. "Supply Function Equilibrium in a Constrained Transmission System," Research Papers 1966, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karla Vander Weyden).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.