Integrated Hydro-Economic Modelling: Challenges and Experiences in an Australian Catchment
AbstractIntegrated catchment policies are widely used to manage natural resources in Australian catchments. Integration of environmental processes with socio-economic systems is often difficult due to the limitations of decision support tools. To support assessments of the environmental and economic trade-offs of changes in catchment management, fully integrated models are needed. This research demonstrates a Bayesian Network (BN) approach to integrating environmental modelling with economic valuation. The model incorporates hydrological, ecological and economic models for the George catchment in Tasmania. Choice experiments were used to elicit information about the non-market costs and benefits of environmental changes. This allows the efficiency of alternative management scenarios to be assessed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Environmental Economics Research Hub, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University in its series Environmental Economics Research Hub Research Reports with number 0915.
Date of creation: Feb 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/research_units/eerh/
More information through EDIRC
Hydro-economic modelling; Integrated catchment modelling; Ecological modelling; Valuation; Bayesian networks; Water quality;
Other versions of this item:
- Kragt, Marit Ellen & Bennett, Jeffrey W., 2009. "Integrated Hydro-Economic Modelling: Challenges and Experiences in an Australian Catchment," Research Reports 94815, Australian National University, Environmental Economics Research Hub.
- NEP-ALL-2009-09-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-DCM-2009-09-26 (Discrete Choice Models)
- NEP-ENV-2009-09-26 (Environmental Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J.C.J.M. van den Bergh & A. Barendregt & A. Gilbert & M. van Herwijnen & P. van Horssen & P. Kandelaars, 2000. "Spatial Economic-Hydroecological Modelling and Evaluation of Land Use Impacts in the Vecht Wetlands Area," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-007/3, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Crawford Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.