The overall seasonal integration tests under non-stationary alternatives: A methodological note
AbstractFew authors have studied, either asymptotically or in finite samples, the size and power of seasonal unit root tests when the data generating process [DGP] is a non-stationary alternative aside from the seasonal random walk. In this respect, Ghysels, lee and Noh (1994) conducted a simulation study by considering the alternative of a non-seasonal random walk to analyze the size and power properties of some seasonal unit root tests. Analogously, Taylor (2005) completed this analysis by developing the limit theory of statistics of Dickey and Fuller Hasza [DHF] (1984) when the data are generated by a non-seasonal random walk. del Barrio Castro (2007) extended the set of non-stationary alternatives and established, for each one, the asymptotic theory of the statistics subsumed in the HEGY procedure. In this paper, I show that establishing the limit theory of F-type statistics for seasonal unit roots can be debatable in such alternatives. The problem lies in the nature of the regressors that these overall F-type tests specify.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels in its series EERI Research Paper Series with number EERI_RP_2011_06.
Date of creation: 06 Apr 2011
Date of revision:
Fisher test; seasonal integration; non-stationary alternatives; Brownian motion; Monte Carlo Simulation.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2011-04-16 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2011-04-16 (Econometric Time Series)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tomas del Barrio Castro, 2007.
"Using the HEGY Procedure When Not All Roots Are Present,"
Journal of Time Series Analysis,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(6), pages 910-922, November.
- Tomas del Barrio Castro, 2007. "Using the HEGY Procedure When Not All Roots Are Present," Working Papers in Economics 170, Universitat de Barcelona. Espai de Recerca en Economia.
- del Barrio Castro, Tomas, 2006. "On the performance of the DHF tests against nonstationary alternatives," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 76(3), pages 291-297, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Julia van Hove).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.