A Structural Model of Institutional Change: Evidence from Transition Economies
AbstractIt is by now widely appreciated that institution building is at the heart of the transition process. Without functioning institutions markets cannot work effectively and the sustainability of the economic transition process can be undermined. The crisis in Russia provided just one piece of evidence in this regard. While institutions are central to the transition process, institutional reform is not an area that is well understood by researchers and policy makers alike. In this paper we examine the determinants of institutional change using a panel dataset comprising 25 transition economies. One of the defining characteristics of our approach is that we treat institutional change as a multidimensional unobserved variable. Although we observe a number of indicators of institutional change we take explicit account of the fact that each indicator represents a noisy signal. In this respect we utilise a Multiple Indicator, Multiple Cause modelling strategy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers with number 1689.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maria Laura Di Tommaso & I. Shima & S. Strøm & F. Bettio, 2007.
"As bad as it gets: well being deprivation of sexually exploited trafficked women,"
CHILD Working Papers, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY
wp10_07, CHILD - Centre for Household, Income, Labour and Demographic economics - ITALY.
- Di Tommaso, M. L. & Shima, I. & Strøm, S. & Bettio, F., 2007. "As bad as it gets: Well being deprivation of sexually exploited trafficked women," Memorandum, Oslo University, Department of Economics 09/2007, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Di Tommaso Maria Laura & Shima Isilda & Steinar Strom & Bettio Francesca, 2007. "As Bad as it Gets: Well Being Deprivation of Sexually Exploited Trafficked women," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers, University of Turin 200703, University of Turin.
- repec:wii:bpaper:bowp:079 is not listed on IDEAS
- Di Tommaso, Maria Laura, 2007. "Children capabilities: A structural equation model for India," Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics (formerly The Journal of Socio-Economics), Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 436-450, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.