Commercial policy under cross-border ownership
AbstractIt is often observed that in order to serve the domestic market, foreign firms not only export but also control domestic firms through foreign direct investment (FDI). This paper examines the effects of tariffs, production subsidies, and foreign ownership regulation on prices, outputs, profits, and welfare when both exports and FDI coexist. Cross-border ownership on the basis of both financial interests and corporate control leads to horizontal market-linkages through which tariffs and production subsidies may not benefit local firms. The effects of ownership regulation depends on both the initial ownership share and the substitutability between goods
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings with number 663.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
foreign direct investment; corporate control; tariffs; production subsidies; ownership regulation;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies
- F13 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Policy; International Trade Organizations
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- T. Huw Edwards, 2008.
"International Share Ownership, Profit Shifting and Protectionism,"
Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE),
Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 164(2), pages 280-301, June.
- T.Huw Edwards, 2007. "International Share Ownership, Profit Shifting and Protectionism," Discussion Paper Series 2007_28, Department of Economics, Loughborough University, revised Nov 2007.
- Ishikawa, Jota & Sugita, Yoichi & Zhao, Laixun, 2008.
"Commercial Policy and Foreign Ownership,"
CCES Discussion Paper Series
2, Center for Research on Contemporary Economic Systems, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.