Regime Selection as an Alternative to the Grubel-Lloyd Index
AbstractAbstract This paper contends that the regime selection probability can provide an â€œempirically justifiableâ€ alternative to the GL index as a measurement of intra-industry trade. The regime selection probability is an average of sample selection probability that each trade flow data comes from inter-industry trade (or equivalently from intra-industry trade). It measures the extent to which a given set of observations is explained by the inter-industry trade regime (or the intra-industry trade regime). The Heckman two-step procedure is used: a probit model is fitted first to a separation indicator, and then the estimated parameters are incorporated into the unconditional probability equation for the second stage estimation. The sample selection model requires an auxiliary separation indicator to partition the sample, so that each of its elements may match up with either comparative advantage or product differentiation with scale economies. As it is a selection criterion based on â€œempirical regularitiesâ€ for separating intra-industry trade from inter-industry trade, the regime selection probability can improve upon the GL index as a relevant indicator of intra-industry trade. It can also be used to infer a transition in trade patterns, since a change in its value indicates how a shifting of explanatory power from comparative advantage to product differentiation takes place.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society 2004 Far Eastern Meetings with number 491.
Date of creation: 11 Aug 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Intra-industry Trade; the Grubel-Lloyd Index; Sample Selection;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F12 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Models of Trade with Imperfect Competition and Scale Economies; Fragmentation
- C34 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-10-30 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Erlinda M. Medalla & Jenny D. Balboa, 2010. "Prospects for Regional Cooperation between Latin America and the Caribbean Region and the Asia and Pacific Region: Perspective from East Asia," Working Papers id:3129, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.