Not Only What but Also When: A Theory of Dynamic Voluntary Disclosure
AbstractWe study a dynamic strategic model of voluntary disclosure of multiple pieces of information. Such situations are prevalent in real life, e.g., in corporate disclosure environments that are characterized by information asymmetry between the firm and the capital market with respect to whether, when, and what private information the firm has learned. We show (perhaps surprisingly) that due to dynamic strategic interaction between the firm and the capital market later disclosures are interpreted more favorably. We also provide sufficient conditions for the equilibrium to be in threshold strategies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Stanford University, Graduate School of Business in its series Research Papers with number 2102.
Date of creation: Apr 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Stanford University, Stanford, CA 94305-5015
Phone: (650) 723-2146
Web page: http://gsbapps.stanford.edu/researchpapers/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Acharya, Viral V & DeMarzo, Peter & Kremer, Ilan, 2011.
"Endogenous Information Flows and the Clustering of Announcements,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8680, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Viral V. Acharya & Peter DeMarzo & Ilan Kremer, 2011. "Endogenous Information Flows and the Clustering of Announcements," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 101(7), pages 2955-79, December.
- Viral V. Acharya & Peter M. DeMarzo & Ilan Kremer, 2010. "Endogenous Information Flows and the Clustering of Announcements," NBER Working Papers 16485, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Acharya, Viral V & DeMarzo, Peter & Kremer, Ilan, 2008. "Endogenous Information Flows and the Clustering of Announcements," CEPR Discussion Papers 6985, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hyun Song Shin, 2006. "Disclosure Risk and Price Drift," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(2), pages 351-379, 05.
- Verrecchia, Robert E., 1983. "Discretionary disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(1), pages 179-194, April.
- Grossman, Sanford J, 1981. "The Informational Role of Warranties and Private Disclosure about Product Quality," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 24(3), pages 461-83, December.
- Grossman, S J & Hart, O D, 1980.
" Disclosure Laws and Takeover Bids,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 35(2), pages 323-34, May.
- Sanford Grossman & Oliver Hart, . "Disclosure Laws and Takeover Bids," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 23-79, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Pae, Suil, 2005. "Selective disclosures in the presence of uncertainty about information endowment," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 383-409, September.
- Eti Einhorn & Amir Ziv, 2008. "Intertemporal Dynamics of Corporate Voluntary Disclosures," Journal of Accounting Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 46(3), pages 567-589, 06.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.