Generalized Sharpe Ratios and Asset Pricing in Incomplete Markets
AbstractThis paper draws on the seminal article of Cochrane and Saa-Requejo (2000) who pioneered the calculation of option price bounds based on the absence of arbitrage and high Sharpe Ratios. Our contribution is threefold: We base the equilibrium restrictions on an arbitrary utility function, obtaining the C&S-R analysis as a special case with truncated quadratic utility. Secondly, we restate the discount factor restrictions in terms of Generalised Sharpe Ratios suitable for practical applications. Last but not least, we demonstrate that for ItÙ processes C&S-R price bounds are invariant to the choice of the utility function, and that in the limit they tend to a unique price determined by the minimal martingale measure.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Royal Economic Society in its series Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 with number 41.
Date of creation: 29 Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/society/annualconf.asp
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-07-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-FIN-2002-07-08 (Finance)
- NEP-FMK-2002-07-08 (Financial Markets)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ales Cerný & Fabio Maccheroni & Massimo Marinacci & Aldo Rustichini, 2008.
"On the Computation of Optimal Monotone Mean-Variance Portfolios via Truncated Quadratic Utility,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
79, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Černý, Aleš & Maccheroni, Fabio & Marinacci, Massimo & Rustichini, Aldo, 2012. "On the computation of optimal monotone mean–variance portfolios via truncated quadratic utility," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(6), pages 386-395.
- Mustafa Pınar, 2011. "Gain–loss based convex risk limits in discrete-time trading," Computational Management Science, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 299-321, August.
- Oleg Bondarenko & Iñaki Longarela, 2009. "A general framework for the derivation of asset price bounds: an application to stochastic volatility option models," Review of Derivatives Research, Springer, vol. 12(2), pages 81-107, July.
- Takuji Arai & Masaaki Fukasawa, 2011. "Convex risk measures for good deal bounds," Papers 1108.1273, arXiv.org.
- HENROTTE, Philippe, 2002. "Pricing kernels and dynamic portfolios," Les Cahiers de Recherche 768, HEC Paris.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.