The Determinants of Urban Households' Transport Decisions: A Microeconometric Study using Irish Data
AbstractThis paper uses Irish micro-data to analyse the determinants of urban households' transport decisions by estimating elasticities of demand for car ownership, car use and public transport with respect to income and various household socio-demographic characteristics. This paper uses expenditure data to examine car and public transport use and analyses the latter decision for separate samples of households, namely, those owning one car and those owning no car. A binary probit model is estimated for the car ownership decision, while for the car use and public transport expenditure decisions, Tobit models adjusted for heteroscedastic and non-normal errors are estimated.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Royal Economic Society in its series Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 with number 150.
Date of creation: 29 Aug 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Office of the Secretary-General, School of Economics and Finance, University of St. Andrews, St. Andrews, Fife, KY16 9AL, UK
Phone: +44 1334 462479
Web page: http://www.res.org.uk/society/annualconf.asp
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-07-08 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nolan, Anne, 2010. "A dynamic analysis of household car ownership," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(6), pages 446-455, July.
- Commins, Nicola & Nolan, Anne, 2008.
"The Determinants of Mode of Transport to Work in the Greater Dublin Area,"
WP268, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI).
- Commins, Nicola & Nolan, Anne, 2011. "The determinants of mode of transport to work in the Greater Dublin Area," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 259-268, January.
- Amaya Vega & Aisling Reynolds-Feighan, 2007. "Employment sub-centres and the choice of mode of travel to work in the Dublin region," Working Papers 200702, School Of Economics, University College Dublin.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.