Estimation and forecasting in large datasets with conditionally heteroskedastic dynamic common factors
AbstractWe propose a new method for multivariate forecasting which combines Dynamic Factor and multivariate GARCH models. The information contained in large datasets is captured by few dynamic common factors, which we assume being conditionally heteroskedastic. After presenting the model, we propose a multi-step estimation technique which combines asymptotic principal components and multivariate GARCH. We also prove consistency of the estimated conditional covariances. We present simulation results in order to assess the finite sample properties of the estimation technique. Finally, we carry out two empirical applications respectively on macroeconomic series, with a particular focus on different measures of inflation, and on financial asset returns. Our model outperforms the benchmarks in fore-casting the inflation level, its conditional variance and the volatility of returns. Moreover, we are able to predict all the conditional covariances among the observable series. JEL Classification: C52, C53
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Central Bank in its series Working Paper Series with number 1115.
Date of creation: Nov 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Postfach 16 03 19, Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Phone: +49 69 1344 0
Fax: +49 69 1344 6000
Web page: http://www.ecb.europa.eu/home/html/index.en.html
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Press and Information Division, European Central Bank, Kaiserstrasse 29, 60311 Frankfurt am Main, Germany
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C52 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Evaluation, Validation, and Selection
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-12-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-12-11 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-12-11 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-FOR-2009-12-11 (Forecasting)
- NEP-ORE-2009-12-11 (Operations Research)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chevallier, Julien, 2011.
"Macroeconomics, finance, commodities: Interactions with carbon markets in a data-rich model,"
Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 557-567.
- Chevallier, Julien, 2011. "Macroeconomics, finance, commodities: Interactions with carbon markets in a data-rich model," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 28(1-2), pages 557-567, January.
- Chevallier, Julien, 2011. "Macroeconomics, finance, commodities: Interactions with carbon markets in a data-rich model," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5111, Paris Dauphine University.
- Matteo Barigozzi & Christian T. Brownlees & Giampiero M. Gallo & David Veredas, 2014. "Disentangling Systematic and Idiosyncratic Dynamics in Panels of Volatility Measures," Econometrics Working Papers Archive 2014_02, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Statistica, Informatica, Applicazioni "G. Parenti", revised Feb 2014.
- Marc Hallin & Charles Mathias & Hugues Pirotte & David Veredas, 2011.
"Market liquidity as dynamic factors,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/136188, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Sirio Aramonte & Marius del Giudice Rodriguez & Jason J. Wu, 2011.
"Dynamic factor value-at-risk for large, heteroskedastic portfolios,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2011-19, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Aramonte, Sirio & Giudice Rodriguez, Marius del & Wu, Jason, 2013. "Dynamic factor Value-at-Risk for large heteroskedastic portfolios," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 37(11), pages 4299-4309.
- Matteo Luciani & David Veredas, 2012. "A model for vast panels of volatilities," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 1230, Banco de Espa�a.
- Claudio Morana, 2010. "Heteroskedastic Factor Vector Autoregressive Estimation of Persistent and Non Persistent Processes Subject to Structural Breaks," ICER Working Papers - Applied Mathematics Series 36-2010, ICER - International Centre for Economic Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Official Publications).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.