How Are Government Hospitals Performing? A Study of Resource Management in DOH-retained Hospitals
AbstractThe paper attempts to provide an overview of the hospital sector in the Philippines with particular emphasis on hospitals being managed by the DOH. The paper begins with an overview of the hospital sector in the Philippines, describing the size, location, and utilization of hospital services. To assess the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery in DOH-retained hospitals, an analysis of resource management is undertaken by examining the sources of funds, planning and budgeting cycle, uses of funds, and monitoring set-up. The paper provides a critique of recent policies concerning hospitals as outlined in the Health Sector Reform Strategy. The last section concludes and provides some policy recommendations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Microeconomics Working Papers with number 22807.
Date of creation: Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
health; health care; health sector; health care financing; health care reform; health expenditures; health facilities; health funds; health management; health services delivery; hospitals;
Other versions of this item:
- Lavado, Rouselle F. & Sanglay-Dunleavy, Abigail Barbara & Matsuda, Yasuhiko & Jimenez, Jeanette F., 2010. "How Are Government Hospitals Performing? A Study of Resource Management in DOH-retained Hospitals," Discussion Papers, Philippine Institute for Development Studies DP 2010-02, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- D20 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - General
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I11 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Analysis of Health Care Markets
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bontile, Honey Loveleen R., 2013. "Performance of DOH-Retained Hospitals in the Philippines," Discussion Papers, Philippine Institute for Development Studies DP 2013-36, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.