The ILO Economists and International Economic Policy in the Interwar Years
AbstractWe survey the published work of the International Labour Organisation's (ILO) economic secretariat during the interwar years, and conclude that ILO economists were in the vanguard of a stream of economic thought which regularly questioned orthodox economics. The ILO economists presented clear policy prescriptions on all major economic questions of the day: the operation of monetary policy by central banks, the attainment of price stability and employment stabilization, responses to the early 1930s economic crisis, and the role of public works and expenditure in supplementing aggregate demand. This research was always innovative, and provided a distinctive voice in economic debate by focusing on the labour and international implications of interwar economic policies.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Duke University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 95-43.
Date of creation: 1995
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published as "International Economic Policy in the Interwar Years: The Special Contribution of ILO Economists" in INTERNATIONAL LABOUR REVIEW, Vol. 135, 1996, pages 207-225
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics Duke University 213 Social Sciences Building Box 90097 Durham, NC 27708-0097
Phone: (919) 660-1800
Fax: (919) 684-8974
Web page: http://econ.duke.edu/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- B10 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought through 1925 - - - General
- B20 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - History of Economic Thought since 1925 - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Bhattacharyya, Nikhilesh, 2012. "Monetary policy and employment in developing Asia," ILO Working Papers 468522, International Labour Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Department of Economics Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.