Rate-of-Return and Price-Cap Regulations for Urban Railways
AbstractWe buid a simple model of commuter railways where congestion exists, show that price-cap (PC) regulation causes congestion compared to rate-of-return (ROR) regulation. We next consider methods to correct it, and show the following results: (i) PC regulation, in which the cap is made contingent on congestion, can correct the congestion without distorting cost-reducing efforts, (ii) PC regulation, in which the cap depends on investment in transportation capacity, can also correct the congestion but distorts cost-reducing efforts. We demonstrate these results by simulation, based on data from the Tokyu To-Yoko line in the Tokyo Metropolitan Area.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University in its series ISER Discussion Paper with number 0449.
Length: 50 pages
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
REGULATIONS ; TRAFFIC ; RAILWAYS;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L5 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy
- L9 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities
- R4 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics
- R14 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Land Use Patterns
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kidokoro, Yukihiro, 2006. "Regulatory reform and the congestion of urban railways," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 52-73, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.