FDI Horizontal and Vertical Effects on Local Firm Technical Efficiency
AbstractDifferencing from previous studies on foreign direct investment (FDI) spillovers to domestic enterprises which mainly focus on productivity, in this paper we take a different perspective by analysing the impacts of FDI to technical efficiency of domestic firms. The paper goes beyond the current literature to shed some light on the spillover effects of FDI to technical efficiency of small and medium enterprises in a developing country. By exploiting a firm-level panel dataset and using SFA models following Battese and Coelli (1995), the paper is able to analyse horizontal spillovers through imitation and competition and labour mobility as well as vertical spillovers through backward and forward linkages on technical efficiency. The paper contributes to the understanding of potential effects on foreign invested enterprises on domestic economy in general and local enterprises performance in particular. Thus it importantly assists policy making by the government of developing countries, where FDI is believed to create technical spillovers on domestic enterprises.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam in its series Working Papers with number 17.
Length: 22 pages
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Technical Efficiency; Foreign Direct Investment; Spillovers;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-07-30 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2008-07-30 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-INT-2008-07-30 (International Trade)
- NEP-TRA-2008-07-30 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Tomas Havranek & Zuzana Irsova, 2011.
"How to Stir Up FDI Spillovers: Evidence from a Large Meta-Analysis,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp1021, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tomáš Havránek & Zuzana Iršová, 2011. "How to Stir Up FDI Spillovers: Evidence from a Large Meta-Analysis," Working Papers IES 2011/34, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Oct 2011.
- Tomas Havranek & Zuzana Irsova, 2012. "Survey Article: Publication Bias in the Literature on Foreign Direct Investment Spillovers," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 48(10), pages 1375-1396, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doan Quang Hung).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.