Can Vietnam achieve millennium development goal on poverty reduction in high inflation and economic stagnation?
AbstractAn important goal of Millennium Development Goals that Vietnam committed is to reduce the overall and food poverty. Although Vietnam has achieved remarkable reduction in poverty during the recent years, Vietnam might not achieve its MDG on poverty reduction because of high inflation and economic stagnation. This paper uses three recent Vietnam Household Living Standard Surveys in 2002, 2004 and 2004 to forecast poverty in 2008 and 2010 to examine whether Vietnam can achieve its MDG on poverty reduction. The forecasts take into account high inflation in 2008 and economic stagnation during 2008-2009. It is found that Vietnam can be able to achieve its MDG on reduction of overall poverty given that the economic growth rate during 2008-2009 is equal to half of the growth rate during 2006-2007. However, the MDG on reduction of food poverty might not be achieved.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam in its series Working Papers with number 01.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Vietnam; Millennium Development Goals; Poverty; Food Poverty; Household Survey.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Woojin Kang & Katsushi Imai, 2010.
"Pro-Poor Growth, Poverty and Inequality in Rural Vietnam,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
1011, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Kang, Woojin & Imai, Katsushi S., 2012. "Pro-poor growth, poverty and inequality in rural Vietnam," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 527-539.
- Woojin Kang & Katsushi S. Imai, 2010. "Pro-Poor Growth, Poverty and Inequality in Rural Vietnam," Discussion Paper Series DP2010-18, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Mustapha K. Nabli, 2011. "The Great Recession and Developing Countries : Economic Impact and Growth Prospects," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2539, March.
- Huynh, Phu & Parisotto, Aurelio, 2012. "Case studies of policy coherence initiatives in developing Asia," ILO Working Papers 471421, International Labour Organization.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Doan Quang Hung).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.