Microeconomic reform and productivity in Australia – boom or blip
AbstractIncreased aggregate productivity growth in the 1990s has been taken to indicate support for the success of microeconomic reform policy in Australia. The Productivity Commission / Australian Bureau of Statistics key estimates of peak to peak market sector multifactor productivity growth since the mid 1960s are examined in this paper. The peak to peak market sector measures are compared with five year averages. Series are reconstructed for the whole economy, and simple regression estimates obtained. The findings lend support to a spike in the measure in the 1990s rather than sustained increase and highlight the sensitivity of the estimates to cyclical and unknown factors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Deakin University, Faculty of Business and Law, School of Accounting, Economics and Finance in its series Economics Series with number 2010_15.
Date of creation: 28 Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood 3125
Phone: 61 3 9244 3815
Web page: http://www.deakin.edu.au/buslaw/aef/index.php
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models &bull Diffusion Processes
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
- L50 - Industrial Organization - - Regulation and Industrial Policy - - - General
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- John Edwards & David Gruen & John Quiggin, 2011. "Wrap-up Discussion," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Hugo Gerard & Jonathan Kearns (ed.), The Australian Economy in the 2000s Reserve Bank of Australia.
- John Quiggin, 2006.
"Stories about productivity,"
Australian Public Policy Program Working Papers
WP4P06, Risk and Sustainable Management Group, University of Queensland.
- Quiggin, John, 2006. "Stories about productivity," Risk and Sustainable Management Group Working Papers 151514, University of Queensland, School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dr Xueli Tang).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.