Wohlstandspolarisierung, Verteilungskonflikte und Ungleichheitswahrnehmungen in Deutschland
AbstractThe connections between the polarization of living conditions, social conflicts concerning the distribution of resources and the perception of social inequality in Germany will be picked out as a central theme. By means of empirical findings it becomes clear that the degree of inequality and polarization with respect to the living conditions - both measured by the wellbeing indicator income - has increased in the Federal Republic of Germany during the recent past. This is accompanied by the fact that the perceived intensity of the socially especially important conflict between the poor and the rich has grown not only slightly. In this connection particularly for the disadvantaged groups - and beneath this in a pronounced manner for the (permanently) unemployed persons - there is a relatively high potential of dissatisfaction. Thisincludes some dangers for the democracy and the social stability in Germany although in an EU-27 perspective - at least in Western Germany - these dangers are rather ranked to a middle level which means that in this international relativity only a middle level of danger is indicated for (Western) Germany.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP) in its series SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research with number 256.
Length: 50 p.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Life-satisfaction; satisfaction with democracy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- D63 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Equity, Justice, Inequality, and Other Normative Criteria and Measurement
- D74 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Conflict; Conflict Resolution; Alliances
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Georg Struch, 2012. "Eine verteilungspolitische Beurteilung aktueller Reformkonzepte zur deutschen Einkommmensbesteuerung," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 232(5), pages 567-588, September.
- Nadine M. Schöneck & Steffen Mau & Jürgen Schupp, 2011. "Gefühlte Unsicherheit: Deprivationsängste und Abstiegssorgen der Bevölkerung in Deutschland," SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research 428, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bibliothek).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.