Family dynamics in pre- and post-transition Romania: a life-table description
AbstractThis study presents a life-table decription of a wide range of events concerning family formation and fertility in Romania, by contrasting two different periods in Romanian history: a period of authoritarian regime and centrally planned economy (1980-1989) and a period of democratic political regime and market-oriented economy (1996-2005). A large number of single- and multi-decrement life tables deals with leaving home, separating from the parental family, forming first union, direct marriage, cohabitation, childbearing in the context of cohabitation or marriage, separation and divorce, parenting (first birth and second birth). Perspectives of men and women, as well of couples and children, are considered. The main data source we used here is Generations and Gender Survey carried out in Romania in 2005. Our life-table analysis confirms the early stage of the Second Demographic Transition in Romania. However, in European context it still remains a society highly valuing marriage and childbearing, despite the evidence in family behaviour changes which have accompanied political and socio-economical transformations after the fall of communist regime.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany in its series MPIDR Working Papers with number WP-2007-018.
Length: 70 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.demogr.mpg.de/
Romania; family dynamics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J1 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics
- Z0 - Other Special Topics - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-12 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Cornelia Muresan, 2007. "Educational attainment and second births in Romania," MPIDR Working Papers, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany WP-2007-028, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Tomas Sobotka, 2008. "Overview Chapter 6: The diverse faces of the Second Demographic Transition in Europe," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 19(8), pages 171-224, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Wilhelm).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.