Life-table representations of family dynamics in 16 FFS countries
AbstractIn this paper, we apply a system of description of family-demographic behavior to data derived from a number of Fertility and Family Surveys (FFS) conducted in Europe - and to corresponding survey data from the USA. We use life-table techniques in order to describe the experiences of men, women, and children in processes related to family formation and family dissolution during the late 1980s -early 1990s. Our presentation amounts to a large number of cross-country comparisons of the demographic behavior in Eastern and Western Europe with the US used as a contrast. Our system is described in more detail in Andersson and Philipov (2001) and here we apply it to data from Sweden, Norway, Finland, France, USA, Austria, Germany (East and West Germany separately), Flanders, Italy, Spain, Czech Republic, Hungary, Slovenia, Latvia, Lithuania, and Poland. (AUTHORS)
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany in its series MPIDR Working Papers with number WP-2001-024.
Length: 135 pages
Date of creation: Aug 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.demogr.mpg.de/
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J1 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics
- Z0 - Other Special Topics - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- James M. Raymo & Larry L. Bumpass & Miho Iwasawa, 2004. "Marital Dissolution in Japan," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 11(14), pages 395-420, December.
- Gunnar Andersson, 2003. "Dissolution of unions in Europe: a comparative overview," MPIDR Working Papers WP-2003-004, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Gunnar Andersson, 2001. "Children’s experience of family disruption and family formation: evidence from 16 FFS countries," MPIDR Working Papers WP-2001-028, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany.
- Gunnar Andersson & Dimiter Philipov, 2002. "Life-table representations of family dynamics in Sweden, Hungary, and 14 other FFS countries," Demographic Research, Max Planck Institute for Demographic Research, Rostock, Germany, vol. 7(4), pages 67-144, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Wilhelm).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.