The Large Sample Correspondence Between Classical Hypothesis Tests and Bayesian Posterior Odds Tests
AbstractThis paper establishes a correspondence in large samples between classical hypothesis tests and Bayesian posterior odds tests for models without trends. More specifically, tests of point null hypotheses and one- or two-sided alternatives are considered (where nuisance parameters may be present under both hypotheses). It is shown that for certain priors the Bayesian posterior odds test is equivalent in large samples to classical Wald, Lagrange multiplier, and likelihood ratio tests for some significance level and vice versa.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University in its series Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers with number 1035.
Length: 38 pages
Date of creation: Nov 1992
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Econometrica (September 1994), 62(5): 1207-1232
Note: CFP 874.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Phone: (203) 432-3702
Fax: (203) 432-6167
Web page: http://cowles.econ.yale.edu/
More information through EDIRC
Postal: Cowles Foundation, Yale University, Box 208281, New Haven, CT 06520-8281 USA
Other versions of this item:
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1994. "The Large Sample Correspondence between Classical Hypothesis Tests and Bayesian Posterior Odds Tests," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(5), pages 1207-32, September.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Eric Ghysels & Alain Guay, 1998.
"Structural Change Tests for Simulated Method of Moments,"
CIRANO Working Papers
- Ghysels, Eric & Guay, Alain, 2003. "Structural change tests for simulated method of moments," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(1), pages 91-123, July.
- Eric Guysels & Alain Guay, 1998. "Structural Change Tests for Simulated Method of Moments," Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers 61, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Chernozhukov, Victor & Hong, Han, 2003. "An MCMC approach to classical estimation," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 293-346, August.
- Hoshino, Takahiro, 2008. "Bayesian significance testing and multiple comparisons from MCMC outputs," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(7), pages 3543-3559, March.
- Lavergne, Pascal, 2013. "Model Equivalence Tests in a Parametric Framework," TSE Working Papers 379, Toulouse School of Economics (TSE).
- Eric Ghysels & Alain Guay, 2001.
"Testing for Structural Change in the Presence of Auxiliary Models,"
Cahiers de recherche CREFE / CREFE Working Papers
133, CREFE, Université du Québec à Montréal.
- Eric Ghysels & Alain Guay, 2001. "Testing for Structural Change in the Presence of Auxiliary Models," CIRANO Working Papers 2001s-54, CIRANO.
- Penelope Smith, 2006. "Bayesian Inference for a Threshold Autoregression with a Unit Root," Melbourne Institute Working Paper Series wp2006n20, Melbourne Institute of Applied Economic and Social Research, The University of Melbourne.
- Berg, Nathan, 2004. "No-decision classification: an alternative to testing for statistical significance," The Journal of Socio-Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 631-650, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Glena Ames).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.